Make extra money on a part-time side hustle while keeping your 9-to-5 job with these resources
Too often financial troubles don’t come down to spending too much money but to not making enough.
We talk a lot on the blog about ditching the 9-to-5 rat race to earn more money but what about people that actually like their job? What about those that need to make more money and aren’t quite ready to go it alone with a work from home business?
Your financial success shouldn’t have to wait for a raise at work or for some unexpected money to come your way.
You’re in luck! I dug into my bag of freelance jobs and asked around to my fellow side-hustle bloggers to find the best ways to make extra money without having to leave your day job.
These aren’t passive income ideas but real jobs that will make you extra cash in as little as five hours a week. Spend a little more time and you could make big money on each but all of them can be done in your spare time.
I’ve separated the list into four categories to make it easier to find your perfect side-hustle job to make extra money. Some of the jobs are extremely easy to get started while others will require a skill or learning. Other side jobs will make lots of money but may take more time to get established.
Click to reserve your spot at the FREE YouTube Quick-start Webinar! I'm sharing three strategies that helped me grow my YouTube channel and double my business income. I guarantee they WILL work for you. Seats are limited for the webinar, so make sure you reserve yours.
Taking Side Hustles to Make You Rich
Side hustles can be a great way to make money on the side. It is a way that you can earn extra income and not have to give up your career to do so.
There are many parts of life where we have to spend money now for a future benefit, such as buying insurance or saving for retirement. In the same sense, side hustles are an investment in yourself and your future.
Side hustles provide opportunities for people who want more flexible work hours, work from home, or just want to have a little more spending money in their lives.
Side hustles are a good way to make money on the side by doing things you enjoy doing. The internet has made it possible for people to make money from home in a number of ways.
It is only natural that the internet has given rise too many opportunities for people to make money online. There are many different ways you can build a business and the internet provides a very user-friendly environment in which to do so.
One of the side hustles that people take up is freelancing. Freelancing is where someone hires another person for a short period of time, or an hour or two per day, or part-time basis, for specific skill set expertise. This could be anything from website design, content writing, coding and much more. This form of work isn't for everyone but if you're looking for an interesting challenge or you like to be challenged then this might be something worth exploring.
Taking side hustles to make you rich has been a popular idea as of late. However, as the economy becomes saturated with potential workers, there may not always be enough work for everyone. This phenomena is already apparent in the sharing economy and we may see it become more apparent in the future.
Easiest Side-Hustle Jobs to Make Extra Money
We’ll start with the very easiest side jobs to make money while keeping your day job. These are the side-projects you can get started today and be making money immediately.
1) Clean foreclosure properties for banks. Banks have foreclosed on thousands of properties and they need to clean these homes in order to sell. Look for the real estate owned (REO) section on a bank’s website or ask around at the local branch. Start with smaller community banks and bid your services.
2) Iron clothes. People are busy and offering to pickup/drop-off at their work or home will set you apart from the dry cleaners. You can make money on a range of services here from cleaning, dry-cleaning, ironing and even mending.
3) Run errands. The beauty of running errands for people is that not only do you get paid but you also get a business tax deduction for using your car as a business vehicle.
4) Start your own daycare. Starting a daycare as a part-time job may require some certifications unless you only work for family members. Instead of a daycare, which would be tough to do if you still have a job during the day, consider watching kids at night while their parents go out.
The trick here is to set a couple of nights a week, maybe Wednesday through Friday, so parents start planning their night out on your schedule. You’ll get more kids which will mean more money per hour and will only have to work part-time.
5) Clean businesses and offices for profit. It will blow your mind to learn how much companies pay to clean their offices. You can charge upwards of $30 an hour or hundreds for a small office. The best part about cleaning offices as a side-hustle is that it can be done late at night or on the weekends and won’t conflict with your day job.
6) Pet sitter. People need pet sitters on a regular basis as well as over-night stays while they’re on vacation and they pay huge money for it. Kennels generally charge at least $25 a day but don’t include much exercise or affection for the pets. Consider expanding to other types of pets as well like hamsters, guinea pigs and others to make even more money. If you pick up or drop-off the pets, you can deduct the mileage on your taxes.
7) Do you love to garden and use organic methods? Depending on how large your harvest may be, you could offer in-season locally grown, organic vegetables and fresh herbs for sale to a restaurant. Take a basket of your most beautiful vegetables and visit several restaurants. Chefs are always interested in getting the best, the freshest food for their patrons.
8) Install Christmas lights on high end homes. Work three months and earn 12 months of income! I’ve literally heard of people who make six figure incomes simply by decorating the homes of people who compete with their neighbors for the most decorated home. Setting up those lights is a pain in the neck and people will pay good money to impress others.
Short-term Jobs to Make Extra Cash while Working
This next group of jobs might take a little longer to setup but can still be done in just a few hours a week. These part-time jobs can be done quickly and easily without getting overloaded with too much work. Do them when you want to make extra money for Christmas or whenever.
9) Are you a genealogy buff? People love to know their family histories, but don’t have time to do the research. You can offer your services as a family researcher and help clients learn about their roots, learn about your own in the process, and generate extra income.
Fiverr makes it easy to sell your services online or find help for your new side-hustle.
10) Can you bake? Making and decorating cakes can allow you to show off our artistic side. You could also offer to bake pastries and other goodies for local coffee shops, a local deli, or even sell them in local office breakrooms.
11) Start a wedding decorations company. If there is a recession-proof business, it’s weddings. People seem to throw budgets out the window when it comes to getting hitched! There’s a list of things you could do from planning to decorating. Do them all for more money or specialize in one part.
12) Stage homes. Homes that look nice without being cluttered sell for a lot more money and people are willing to share those profits with home stagers. It’s more than just arranging furniture but just about anyone can do it with a little brushing up on home decoration. Approach realtors, banks, and house flippers to find your first customers.
Even a part-time project needs a website. Get started today with Blue Host for just $3.49 per month with this special deal.
Second Jobs that Require a Little More Skill but Make More Money
These side-hustle jobs are a little more complicated but will make the most money and could become a full-time work from home career. They require a little more skill than the other side jobs but it will pay off big time!
Not sure you’re ready to turn your skill into a side-job? Check out some of the great video classes on Udemy. You can find online classes on just about anything and many for less than $20 for hours of teaching.
13) Freelance writing. From traditional newspapers to magazines and even bloggers all need freelance writers. You can work as a general writer or specialize in a specific topic or audience. Rates generally start at least $50 for an article but can range into the thousands once you build a reputation for quality writing.
14) Tutor. If you have a college degree, use your downtime to tutor kids in the summer or even over the internet to make additional income. Drop by the local school and offer your services to the summer school folks after making sure it’s okay with the school staff, of course.
15) Teach a language. Do you speak another language? Do you speak English well enough to teach it? Either way, your skills are in demand and will help you make extra money. People need to learn other languages and non-English speakers need to learn English. Most people prefer to learn a conversational style rather than just conjugate verbs around the dinner table. Who knew just talking and having a conversation could result in earning additional income?
16) Substitute teach at your kid’s school. My wife does this quite often. Teachers have doctors and dentist appointments just like everyone else. Their children get sick and they have to take care of them. When this happens, the school needs a substitute teacher. Check with several schools (dont forget the private schools) to see what requirements they place on subs and how much extra income you could earn. You might have to take a day off from work for this one but that just means you’ll be making double-pay.
17) Got a sewing machine? Many local clothing stores, particularly upscale stores and even dry cleaners need people with sewing skills. Here’s your chance to show off your skills and make a little extra income.
18) Set up computers, home theater systems, or wireless networking systems for the technologically-challenged. Even though technology is a constant presence in our everyday lives, some people just can’t seem to get the hang of it. You can offer to come in and help those with new gadgets get them set up, install new programs, organize the spaghetti mess of cables, and make sure everything is plugged in correctly.
19) A year or so after you’ve set up those computers, offer to help clean and speed up computers that may have been infected with viruses, malware and spyware. You know it’s going to happen and someone will get paid to clean those systems.
20) Cater business meetings and events. Love the idea of starting your own restaurant but don’t want the headache of having a building and having to deal with employees? Love to cook and entertain? It’s more than just cooking for a group of people. You’ll need to be organized and able to provide quality service but that just means you’ll make more money.
21) Photography. Do you have one of those fancy cameras? The rate smartphones are developing, you could potentially take professional-quality pics from just an iPhone.
22) Blog about it! You can take any of the side-jobs above and write a blog about it. Turn that blog into selling your own books or products or even record video courses to publish on Udemy for profit. I’ve built my blogs into a six-figure income stream in less than three years.
Get your blog started in 15 minutes with this special offer from Blue Host! Web hosting under $3 a month – the lowest price anywhere! Get your special rate here.
Side-Hustle Jobs Requiring an Investment
This last group of part-time jobs to make extra income will cost some money to get started but can provide more passive income than the others. Learn everything you can about how to be successful first so you don’t rush in and lose your money.
23) Know your antiques? Spend your weekends scouting those garage sales, thrift stores, estate auctions, and flea markets to score old treasures on the cheap. Do some research to discover the real value of your finds and spend your next lunch hour reselling it on Craigslist for a profit.
24) Buy and sell used cars for profit. You don’t need to own a used car lot to make money selling. In fact, without having to pay expenses like staffing and lot fees, you can make a lot of money selling used cars you buy from private owners. Most individual owners just want to get rid of their car fast so you can usually get a great deal if you know how much a car is worth. Make from $300 to $3,000 in extra income for each car you sell.
25) Start your own vending machine company. The truth is that vending is a great way to make easy cash! It will take some planning and you’ll need to organize your inventory but will make money every time you go to refill your machines. It might take a little while to get the go-ahead to leave your machines in malls, grocery stores or other public places but it will mean passive income when you do.
These are just a quick list of some of the best part-time jobs you can start to make extra money. Check out some of the other posts on the blog for other work from home ideas and find the one that best suits your interests. Whether you need to make a quick $1000 or something that will generate tens of thousands apart from your day job, all you have to do is get started.
Read the Entire Make Money Online
- 7 Online Side Hustle Jobs (Make Money 24/7)
- How Can Lazy Teenagers Make Money Online?
- 5 Legit Ways How to Make Money Online for Free
- 5 Best Websites to Make Money Online Without Spending a Dime
- How to Make Money Online with No Money [Detailed Step-by-Step]